Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
You start Sunless Sea by creating your character. Or not, depending on your preference.
Captain's Making[edit | edit source]
At this stage, you have two options:
- Choose a past, allowing you to generate a character.
- A Past Wreathed in Shadows, which allows you to start a game instantly and bother with the pesky past later.
View the Captain's Making event.
Who were you?[edit | edit source]
|A street urchin!||Your urchin-gang cast you out when you grew too tall. You took to sea rather than graduate to larger crimes. That last big score was enough to buy a ship.||Game note: Talk to her to find out why she went to zee.Game note 2: This will give you a bonus to Veils, the skill of subtlety and evasion.|
|A poet!||An educated and articulate soul seeking sensation at sea. How lucky you had a legacy to spend.||Game note: Talk to the Navigator to find out why he went to zee.Game note 2: This will give you a bonus to Pages, the skill of trickery and knowledge.|
|Veteran of the Campaign of '68||You fought in the invasion of Hell. London's armies lost. You survived. Your loot and your pension have bought you a command.||Game note: Talk to him to find out why he went to zee.Game note 2: This will give you a bonus to Iron, the skill of causing direct damage.|
|An ordained priest||You fell from grace. There is nothing left ashore for you. An anonymous benefactor has found this way out for you.||Game note: Talk to her to find out if she'd like to die anywhere in particular.Game note 2: This will give you a bonus to Hearts, the skill of healing and morale.|
|A natural philosopher||Your peculiar theories on time, blood and starlight brought you down to the Neath, the cavern where London lies... and now they take you out to zee.||Game note: Talk to him to find out why he went to zee.Game note 2: This will give you a bonus to Mirrors, the skill of detection and perception.|
View the Who were you? event.
Choose an Ambition[edit | edit source]
What drives you, oh Captain? This selection determines the winning condition for the game.
- Fulfilment: Gather a hundred tales. Learn all you can of the zee. Write a masterpiece. Retire.
- You have to become London's most venerated explorer to win.
- Alternatively, you can always return to Fallen London and retire, but not without writing the masterwork you so desire.
- Wealth: You know how it is to be poor. Now you want a mansion, servants, fine clothes. A family, perhaps.
- You have to upgrade Your Lodgings to a mansion and retire, after amassing a sizable retirement fund, of course.
- Your Father's Bones: Find where and how your father died, and return his remains to London for a decent burial.
- When you've found your father's bones, you can retire to victory. Explore Fallen London to find your first clue. (Released 29 December 2014)
- The Uttermost East: Find what lies beyond the map's edge.
- Not available in the current build.
View the Choose an Ambition event.
A last scrap of paperwork[edit | edit source]
"Captain! Captain! An irregularity with the Harbourmaster's Office! They wish to know - what term of address do you prefer ashore?"
Note: Your actual gender is entirely up to you.
- Madam: More zee-captains choose this than you might expect.
- Sir: Sir it is.
- Citizen: A term of address popular among those of egalitarian sentiments.
- my Lord: Perhaps you really do come from a noble family. Who's to know?
- my Lady: Perhaps you really do come from a noble family. Who's to know?
- Captain: Captain will do perfectly well ashore as well as at sea, thank you.
View the A last scrap of paperwork event.
Cameo[edit | edit source]
The selection of an appropriate cameo finishes the character generation and you're free to launch into the Unterzee!