The Satisfied Magician
|The Satisfied Magician|
The Satisfied Magician is a potential Chief Engineer crew member; he is the successfully promoted version of the Genial Magician, resulting in improved stats and the ability to construct The Serpentine engine, a miracle of science and technology.
Background[edit | edit source]
He's a good engineer, despite that missing hand. But zailors fall silent when he passes.
Character description[edit | edit source]
"He has the quiet smile of a man who has tamped down the earth on his enemy's grave."
Obtaining[edit | edit source]
The Satisfied Magician is obtained by completing the Genial Magician storylet:
- Get a Serpent-Image by one of the following methods:
- Go to Venderbight, do the Explore Venderbight action until you get the A Serpent-Image random event (5% chance). Since random events depend on luck, you may have to return to Venderbight many times with Something Awaits You before you get this. In this event, do the The Genial Magician has a use for it action.
- A more reliable way is to bring 1 x Sack of Darkdrop Coffee Beans to Irem and choose The House of the Amber Sky to enter the Mirror-Marches where you can Retrieve a Serpent-Image.
- Next go to Khan's Heart, do the Find help for the Genial Magician interaction and choose any of the actions. You will need one of the following three payments:
- Finally return to London and visit The Forgotten Quarter. Reach the Fourth part and do the Share a toast with the Satisfied Magician action. To complete the Forgotten Quarter storylet you will need:
- There's still a fixed 30% chance you'll get The Urbane Magician instead of The Satisfied Magician
Interactions[edit | edit source]
|Dispel the darkness?|
|Construct the Serpentine||
||Game note: Bring 1200 Echoes to the Drydock in London to continue.|
|Increase your Veils||Game note: Spend a Secret to improve your Veils, if it is no higher than 100.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- You CAN pass on The Satisfied Magician on via the Shipmate Legacy. You will start with the promoted officer, but no value for your Learning About: The Magician quality.
- If you pass on this officer and then lose him somehow (say, by installing him as Viceroy of your colony), you can afterward recruit another Genial Magician so long as you DID NOT talk to The Satisfied Magician and advance the storylet -- a non-zero value for Learning About: The Magician will prevent you from recruiting another one. So long as you wait until after he retires to Aestival, you can then promote the new, youthful Magician by completing the storylet as normal.
- Constructing The Serpentine does not check or require any particular Learning About: The Magician score -- it only requires having a The Satisfied Magician and no The Serpentine. This means if you inherit The Satisfied Magician, you will be able to build it immediately, at game start, provided you have the 1200 Echoes.
- Relatedly, if you happen to lose your Serpentine somehow (say, to a certain king), you can build another one if you wish.
|Cooks||Bandaged Chef-Paramount • Bandaged Poissonnier • Nacreous Outcast • Nacreous Survivor • Scrimshaw Chronicler • Shady Cook|
|Chief Engineers||Gall-Eyed Engineer • Genial Magician • Prudent Magician • The Satisfied Magician • The Urbane Magician • Maybe's Daughter • Maybe's Rival • Nobody's Daughter • Tireless Mechanic|
|First Officers||Carnelian Exile • Sigil-Eaten Navigator • Sigil-Ridden Navigator • Sly Navigator • The Merciless Modiste • Your Father|
|Gunnery Officers||Irrepressible Cannoneer • Longshanks Gunner • Presbyterate Adventuress • Wistful Deviless|
|Surgeons||Brisk Campaigner • Cladery Heir • Determined Doctor • Disillusioned Doctor • Haunted Doctor • Indomitable Campaigner • Plausible Surgeon • The Lady in Lilac • The Scarred Sister|
|Mascots||Albino Tinkerer • Comatose Ferret • Elegiac Cockatoo • Eyeless Skull • Guinea Page • Keeper-Moth • Monkey Foundling • Parabolan Kitten • Parabolan Panther • Vigilant Idol • Wretched Mog|
- Not a real game item, just an event or action that advances the Magician's storyline